Social Security Benefits

The Social Security Administration (SSA) should be informed immediately after someone dies. We will complete the necessary paperwork to notify them of the death and submit it to the SSA for you. Here is some additional information about the benefits you may be entitled to receive. You will need to apply for these separately if you are eligible to receive them.

You must apply in order to receive benefits. You may apply at any Social Security office, by telephone at 1-800-772-1213, or online at


To receive monthly benefits, the deceased worker must have credit for work covered by Social Security ranging from 1 1/2 to 10 years depending on his or her age at death. Those eligible for monthly benefits include:

  • Surviving Spouse: Most payments are made to a surviving spouse who is eligible to collect benefits from age 60 or age 50 if they are disabled. The amount of payment is based on age and ranges from 71.5% to 100% of what the decedent was entitled to receive. If the surviving spouse is caring for a dependent child of the decedent who is under the age of 16 or disabled, the spouse’s age requirement is waived and the payment will be 75% of the eligible payment amount.
  • Minor and Disabled Children: The child under 18 years old, or up to 19 and 2 months they are attending high school full time. Disabled children are eligible regardless of age if they have a disability dating from before they turned 22. Grandchildren and stepchildren may also qualify. All children must be unmarried and the payment amount will be 75% of the decedent's benefit amount.
  • Parents: Parents age 62 or older who were financially dependent on a child who dies may be eligible to receive survivor benefits. The payment amount is 82.5% of the decedent's payment for a single parent, and 75% of the payment amount for two parents.
  • Ex-Spouses: A ex-husband or ex-wife can collect survivor benefits in the event that the marriage lasted 10 years or more.

Lump-Sum Death Payment

A $255 one time lump-sum death payment is paid to a surviving spouse provided they were living with the decedent at the time of death, or receiving benefits on the decedent's SSA record for the month of death if they were living apart. The payment can be made to a surviving child if there is not a surviving spouse if the child is eligible for benefits for the month of death.

You can find more information about the available benefits and how to apply for them here. We are always happy to assist if you have additional questions or need more information about these benefits.

Contact Us

We are available 24/7, 365 days a year. If you need our services immediately, please call us at (207) 773-6511

Portland Directions South Portland Directions

Buy Flowers