Services for Funeral and Cremation in Portland, ME Tailored to Your Desires and Needs
When it comes time to select services related to a funeral and cremation in Portland, ME, there is a lot of variation in the types of services that can be designed. Any honoring ceremonies that are offered can be thought of as fulfilling two important purposes. The first, of course, is to honor the deceased and remember their life and legacy. The second is to provide a healing environment to support those who are mourning this significant loss in their lives. To fulfill these two purposes, you can work with a provider who will help you consciously create healing experiences through the service(s) you select.
Many Types of Honoring Events Connected to Funeral and Cremation in Portland, ME
In truth, there are many types of ways to honor the dead and lay them to rest. We won’t discuss every possible option here but will highlight several that are popular in this surrounding area.
- Cremation Services: As a means of taking care of the body, cremation is becoming increasingly popular. This process, which incinerates the body in a secure furnace chamber, results in a few pounds of ashen remains.
- Ash Scattering Services: One possible way to honor a loved one after they have been cremated is to hold this style of service. It takes place at the site where the final instructions of the deceased indicate or at a location the family has chosen. Cremation gardens in memorial parks or cemeteries offer one such place. With applicable permissions and/or permits, the scattering could occur in a natural setting deemed appropriate by you.
- Funeral Services: This type of honoring service is built around the presence of the deceased remains. Usually, they are held in a casket as a prominent part of the service. The casket could remain closed or be open if a public presentation is desired. Funerals are usually held within a short timeframe after death occurs so that the body may be laid to rest promptly.
- Memorial Services: Celebrations of life or memorial services are another avenue that can be used to pay tribute to a departed individual. These types of services are held after the deceased remains have been taken care of, either through burial or cremation services. Since the body is not needed for the event, this kind of ceremony could be scheduled many weeks or months after the death date.
- Burial Services: Services can be held in conjunction with the burial at the graveside. This can be part of a fuller funeral or as a stand-alone service. Cremated remains may be buried similarly to caskets. In some establishments, there are options for above-ground burial in addition to earth burial.
- Green Burial Services: More people are becoming aware of and concerned about how some modern death care practices can negatively impact the environment. If you are looking for more natural solutions to burial, you can explore ways to have a greener burial. This can include things like avoiding embalming and selecting fully biodegradable burial containers. In addition, there are certified green burial sites in some areas that have extensive regulations to protect the environment and allow burial there.
- Service-Connected Receptions: There are some instances when hosting a reception makes sense as part of the services. This can be a way for extended families and out-of-town guests to mingle, eat, and comfort one another in the wake of this loss.
There are no rules about how many or how few of these services should be retained. As you look for ways to honor the deceased and meet the needs of the grieving family, you will begin to see which services will best support those outcomes. If you want to combine and layer services for major services such as a funeral and cremation in Portland, ME, it’s absolutely possible.
Pre-Arrangement Is a Gift
As you can see, there are many directions you can take when you are planning for these final arrangements. If you have a pretty good idea of what kinds of services you would like to have for yourself, it’s a good move to take the time to make a death care plan before it is needed. This is a thoughtful gift you can give to your closest relations. They won’t be left wondering which options you would have chosen for yourself. Additionally, you can choose to pay for the services now, and they will be fulfilled when needed, even if the prices have increased.
Contact Us Today For the Highest Satisfaction and Service
Suppose you are looking for a funerary firm that can provide you with high customer satisfaction and quality service. In that case, you will want to reach out to the industry experts at Conroy-Tully Walker Funeral Homes. Our licensed professionals continually work to give our clients and their families the best possible experience when they need funeral and cremation in Portland, ME.